What is the Canvas Dashboard? - Parents
The Dashboard is the first thing you will see when you log into Canvas.
The Dashboard helps you see what is happening in all your current courses.
You can return to your User Dashboard at any time by clicking the Dashboard link in the Global Navigation Menu on the far left side of the screen.
The Dashboard is truly the place where you can start off your day in Canvas! Everything is at your fingertips from here. Things you'll see on your Dashboard include:
- Course Cards: All current courses represented by tiles
- Global Announcements: Used for institution wide communication
- To Do List: Students see a list of up to 25 items they need to do in their courses. Each is a link into the course.
- Coming Up: Look ahead into your Canvas Calendar, showing events and assessments due today and going forward 7 days
Here are some ideas about how you can extend your use of the Dashboard:
- Give Course Nicknames: Each Course Tile will show you the official name of the course. Courses have pre-assigned course names and may not be user friendly or easily searchable. A Course Nickname can assist you to keep track of the courses you choose to keep visible and organized on your dashboard.
- Change the color of your Course card: Click the three vertical dots (that's called a kabob selector!) and you'll see a pallet of colors. Whatever color you pick is just for you. Every user can customize his or her own colors. Colors are important and also will represent that course in your Calendar. (Need more colors? Check out color-hex to find just the right color for your course!)
Need more information? Check out these Canvas Guides: