How to use conferences in Canvas (using BigBlueButton)- Faculty & Staff
Canvas has a built-in web-conferencing tool called "Conferences" that can be used for virtual lectures, virtual office hours, or anything else that would need synchronous interaction. Conferences utilize an integration with BigBlueButton and allow up to 100 concurrent users at a time. You can record a conference, use the whiteboard function, add files, share your screen, conduct polls during conference sessions, and even use breakout rooms.
*Please note that recorded Conferences are stored in Canvas for 14 days and are then deleted automatically.
We recommend using Firefox or Chrome with Conferences and do not recommend using Safari as it does not support screen sharing at this time.
When would I use Conferences as an instructor?
Use Conferences to:
- Connect with your students during school closings
- Connect with your students for online office hours or study sessions designed to help them prepare for a test.
- Connect with your colleagues for professional development webinars.
- Invite special guests to your classroom by adding them as a student or observer to your course.
- Broadcast a live event or lecture to the students that can't be onsite.
- Record your conferences so students can view them at a later date. Note: Recordings are automatically deleted 14 days after the conference ends
- Breakout rooms are now available! You can create up to 8 at a time for students to share ideas in groups.
Canvas Conferences and BigBlueButton Resources
- Canvas Conferences Video Overview for Teachers
- BigBlueButton Video Overview for Teachers
- How do I use the Conferences Index Page?
- How do I create a conference in a course?
- How do I start a conference?
- How do I delete a conference?
- How do I edit a conference?
- How do I record a conference?
- How do I join a conference?
- How do I conclude a conference?
- How do I use the Conferences interface as a moderator or presenter?